Whass up?

Saturday, November 18, 2006

10 languages

A friendgirl from Finland just called. She comes from the 6% of the Finnish population (in Finland obviously) who has Swedish as a first language. That is weird in itself. To live in a country and not speak the language. Which is completely wrong, she has told me, since Finland has two official languages (Swedish and Finnish...this clarification for my Aussie friend :).

But coming to think of it, Switzerland has four official languages (German, Italian, French and Romanisch), so it's not that strange.

Anyway, my friend told me that she only learned Finnish in school. So growing up speaking only Swedish, but now she speaks also Finnish, English and French.

She also told me she just met a guy who speaks no less than 10!!! languages. I haven't met him, but I already hate him. How is that possible?

I mean I can get by more or less fluently in three languages and understand three more + possibly some tourist-Italian and Spanish. But fluent in 10 languages? He ought to be shot. And not only that. He apparently is good-looking too. And has a high-flying job. Hmmm, I wonder though. There surely must be something wrong with him? I'd like to think he likes to walk around in diapers when home, or has un unhealthy interest in mechanical devices or whatever.

Well, apparently he isn't perfect (travelling too much) so my friendgirl had a plan B lined up for tonight...good for her! Wish her all the best...because she's worth it :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home