Whass up?

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Mixed messages

I'm gonna kill a myth here. The fact that the Swiss supposedly speak high German (meaning not the dialect called Switzedutch that is spoken here and comes in many versions - compare previous blog item about Züridutch, Berndutch, Baseldutch etc). They don't. They just don't. And most of them admit it too.

They are really supposed to, since it still is the official language, but guess what? They don't care. I kinda like that about the Swiss though, being a bit obstinate. I had the same experience when I lived in Denmark. Think it has to do with the fact that the Swiss (mentally) live under the shadow of Germany. Germany has over 80 mill people, and Switzerland has a mere 7 (and a half if you wanna be picky, and the Swiss do).

Well, the point I'm trying to make is about the course I'm attending (more about that later) is in German. Or so I was told. The teacher after 4 weeks still hasn't got it. Every morning she starts in Switzedutch. Until I (well to be honest with you I've given up) say something like "sorry, I still haven't learned Switzedutch", or that my class mates (bless'm) say in a stern voice "hoch-deutsch bitte".

Here the funny people would say well, nobody ever accused the Swiss of being clever. Only thing is that the teacher is non-Swiss. And since I live here in Zürich, I'd like to add that I'm a great fan of the Swiss people. Most of the time :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home