Whass up?

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Craftsmen/women

For a long time I wanted to have a kitchen ladder, meaning a chair with three steps that you can use when there is no man in sight (or indeed a tall woman) to get things for you from the top shelf. IKEA didn't offer this, so I was biding my time.

By accident I ran into this handwritten ad by a tram stop. It was funny because the ad itself held pictures from furniture, and by hand written footsteps showing the way to where this place was located.

OK, so I went there. Only to be confronted with a factory, no showing room, no people who spoke anything else than Swiss-German. I was lost. But those who want to communicate do. So I did. Explained (how? I still don't know :) that I wanted this "kitchen ladder". We went around the place and all of a sudden I saw one. It wasn't anything they sold, but used in the factory. Told them this is what I wanted, but with a bigger top shelf. At this time the carpenter asked whether I wanted a holder for the drink as well :) (indeed a good idea, but I politely declined).

Turned out that the factory was for students who learned to be carpenters. You could indeed order furniture, but it was like the opposite of IKEA. But I ordered and got the best "kitchen ladder" I ever had (not that I had one before :). Yes, it took 6 weeks for them to make it, and it cost me a little bit but I'm happy. I got what I wanted. And I bet it'll last 'til the end of my days.

PS. The bigger top shelf is for people who visit my kitchen, when they want to "join in" when I cook. Meaning they can sit and watch :)

PS. Tried to upload a pic from my beloved kitchen ladder, but blogger is not working with me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home