Whass up?

Friday, November 10, 2006

Poof

A friend called me the other day. Turns out he has prostate cancer. Not something you exactly laugh about. But he was totally cool with it. Had known about it for more than half a year. Did his research, and finally decided that taking the whole thing out was the thing to do. Which he will do in a couple of weeks.

Now, I have heard about prostates before, but to be honest I wasn’t entirely sure what this organ actually does. And what it does to you when it’s removed. I know now. The prostate apparently produces semen. Ok, I can understand that. So after the prostate is removed, you can still have an orgasm but all it does is "poof". No sharp bullets so to speak. Good thing my friend is beyond the child-producing age.

And you know what he was most worried about? The urethra (the thing you piss through) goes right through the prostate and therefore has to be cut in the removal operation. Meaning they have to sew it together and that takes about 10 days to heal. Which in turn means that he has to have a catheter for these 10 days.

I’m still not sure that it was only thing he was worried about, but that was the way he was presenting it. And he had a dinner party planned for the day after the operation. Denial? Or just wanting to play it down?

Nevertheless, I will worry. He’s dear to me. But I do honestly believe that he’ll be fine. He must be!

PS. One way of reducing the risk for prostate cancer is to sit down and pee!

6 Comments:

  • At 4:23 PM, Blogger Walter said…

    I'll start sitting down today!
    I believe you're friend will be fine. He has friends like you wishing the best for him, he has no other choice but to recover.

     
  • At 7:23 PM, Blogger Annika said…

    Good for you! And for the others using the same loo :)

     
  • At 9:54 PM, Blogger Walter said…

    As long as I get to use the Loo first, then I don't mind others using it, and of course provided I'm done using it for the day.

     
  • At 10:44 PM, Blogger Annika said…

    You're too generous...

     
  • At 2:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    from the 'poof' heading I was imaging this item to be about something completely different.

     
  • At 8:21 AM, Blogger Annika said…

    So I can imagine :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home