Whass up?

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Polite

Here everybody has to be so friggin polite all the time. A bit like in England really. A lot of pleases and thank you's (well, the German equivalents obviously) going on all the time.

Even when you want to tell somebody off, you should do it politely (like the friggin telemarketing people who always seem to call when I sleep or am busy elsewhere). Asked my German teacher today what piss off is in German. He couldn't tell me but gave me something like "please don't call me again". See what I mean?

Where I come from we seldom bother with these words, they kind of do not fit into my mother tongue. But think of the time we save! Guess that's why I'm considered to be rather direct :)

2 Comments:

  • At 6:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Annika, translatioon to German:

    piss of: "verpiss Dich" or "hau ab"

    both is definately not polite, but the less unpolite is "hau ab".

    However, this does not really match in a phone conversation but the following would fit: "Lassen Sie mich in Ruhe" what means "get off my back".

    Still too polite?

    Ze German

     
  • At 6:39 PM, Blogger Annika said…

    Hmmm...better than what my teacher could come up with...like the "verpiss Dich" :)

    Telemarketers, watch out!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home