Whass up?

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Going Dutch - a myth?

I think it is. I find the Dutch very generous. Even when I lived there quite some time ago, I found the same. This applies to money as well as being open and generous with their time and their social life. Even though I didn't know anybody when I moved there, I never felt alone during the nearly two years I spent there.

Also, they are the tallest people in the world. And I think they all were born on a bike. Biking in Holland is a dangerous business, but I guess only for the non-Dutch people. Which I am. However, when I was biking I never crashed once or had any type of incident in two years. Wonder if that says more about the Dutch than about me?

And the language? What can I say? When I first arrived there, the initial reaction was that learning it took a lot of spitting. Now when I hear it, I feel fondness. Perhaps it is because I now understand it, and I know the Dutch. Stepping on that KLM flight the other day, felt like coming home.

So, hurray for the Dutch! One of my favourite nationalities.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home