Whass up?

Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Friends vs relatives

Difficult concept.

Friends (the real ones) are always there for you but then again, not everything is like “Sex and the city”. I think/know/imagine most people’s lives are more complex. I remember when I referred to a woman friend like “ my best friend” and she said “you are one of them”. At the time I was offended. I think now that I’m a tad older that I understand what she meant. Different friends are good in different times. So, some people are good in good times, and others are good in bad times. Not exactly Newton or Einstein, but ever so difficult to learn.

Now, relatives are a different ballgame altogether. These are the people, when you grow up (yes, I’m still growing, mentally i.e. Coming to think of it probably also elsewhere : ) are always there. They don’t mean much to you then, because as said they’re always there. But when everything else falls apart they are still there. Since I lately had reason to think about this, I have learned to realize that both are needed. I guess that’s when you learn to differentiate the good ones from the bad. Friends or relatives don’t matter, good people, friends or relatives, are what matter.

The worst kind is the ones who says: “Is there anything I can do for you?”, and when you ask, they couldn’t care less. Why do they do it?

I am sure I have done this to other people without understanding. Here is my sincere apology.

So, summarizing, if you’re a friend or a relative, I don’t care, as long as you put up with me :)

2 Comments:

  • At 9:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Mea Culpa

    I too have had the occasional opportunity to think about this. Its like the Ketchup effect, you never get the right amount. Blame it on the Time Trap Annika - at least for the good-hearted friends who drives kids to school, getting into the squirrel-wheel in the office, shopping and making dinner for the kids, and trying to be there for the current partner (if you happen to be so lucky...!)

    Im guilty as charged. I dont even manage to keep ahead of daily duties, let alone be there for friends like you.

    But I often think about a pan-nordic veal-meal in Copenhagen.

    And if youre ever in Oslo, look me up.

     
  • At 10:35 AM, Blogger Annika said…

    I would if I knew who you were.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home